A cultural and historic walking tour of London's vibrant & creative riverside scene
This self-paced audio tour of London's South Bank is like a time machine: we start in the cobbled streets around Borough Market, one of the oldest and most tempting food markets in Europe, and end up near The London Eye, one of the most iconic modern additions to the London skyline.
Along the way you'll see Sir Francis Drake's famous galleon, get the chance to stop off for a pint in the pub where Shakespeare drank, catch a breathtaking view of St Paul's Cathedral from one of Europe's most famous bridges, and see one of the world's largest collections of modern art for free.
If music and theatre is more up your street, then how about checking out Shakespeare's Globe, or The Southbank Centre, which houses the largest collection of performance halls and theatres in the world?
Along this walking tour, you'll find out about the historic River Thames and the role it has played in shaping London's history – or you can just pause and do some people-watching at one of the many riverside cafés and bars that are shown on the map in the app.
On this audio tour, you'll see and learn about:
- Borough Market - best food market this side of the Atlantic
- Southwark Cathedral - where Shakespeare worshipped
- The Golden Hinde - lifesize repilica of 2nd round-the-world ship
- Bishop’s Palace- beautiful ruins, gruesome bishop
- The Anchor Inn- beautiful ancient riverside pub
- The Globe Theatre - see Shakespeare's plays like he did
- Millennium Bridge- Fantastic photo opp
- Tate Modern- huge, glorious and free art gallery
- Blackfriars Bridge - with some horrible history
- The River Thames - a two thousand year time line
- The London Eye & London Aquarium - go sky high or under the sea
- Palace of Westminster - A stunning riverside palace
As with all of our walking tours, you set your own pace and can stop wherever you like. On this tour, there are plenty of places to enjoy some of the best food London has to offer, as well as some great boutiques for picking up gifts, unusual souvenirs, or perhaps something artsy for yourself.
How to go on this walking tour:
Simply upload the London Sights app to your mobile phone, and you can purchase The Southbank Stroll within the app for £4.99
or learn more about how the London Sights app works.
Listen to samples of this audio tour:
This London walking tour is ideal for:
- Art lovers - and it's free!
- London history buffs
- Food fanciers
- Shakespeare fans
- Anyone who wants to see some of London's most photogenic sights, and also explore its cultural heritage
Duration of this audio walk:
Around 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Allow 1/2 day if you want to soak it all in.
Tour starts at:
(Closest Tube: London Bridge)
Tour ends at:
Big Ben / Palace of Westminster
(Closest Tube: Westminster)
Best times to go:
Borough Market Open for lunch: Mon, Tue 10am-5pm; Full Market: Wed, Thur 10am-5pm; Fri 10am-6pm; Sat 8am-5pm. Go mornings to beat the crowds, or late afternoon to catch the sunset over the river. Lunchtimes at Borough Market can get very busy.